Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th o' July


I almost sent text messages out, but I didn’t.  I had them typed out and ready to go, but I woke up around 4 and deleted them.  Probably for the best.

My mom and I got to my grandparents’ house around 1 and then we ate as much food as we possibly could, like with every other holiday.  Every holiday with them is kind of the same.  There’s normally barbeque and lots of other food.  The only thing that was different today was that we all ate outside and relaxed in the shade.

After my uncle and Vicky left, the rest of us went inside and watched some old 8mm “moving pictures” that my grandparents are planning to put on DVD.  It was a trip seeing my mom and uncle as little kids and my grandparents in their 20s.  The outfits and hairstyles were awesome to see too.  My mom and I spent about an hour looking through old photos and then we headed home.

The day’s nostalgia turned into my mom and I legit building our family tree.  We got a good amount done on her side, but I found lots of stuff on my dad’s side.  His mom’s family was a goldmine.  And pretty much everyone in that line is from Chihuahua, but the last people I found, from right around 1700, are from Spain.  I knew I was Spanish.  My dad has been telling me for years that we have some Spaniard in us.  And my mom’s convinced she’s part Native American, so maybe I can figure that out too.

No comments: