Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cobalt

Bittersweet day for sure.  Seriously.

This morning went okay besides it being super early.  Katy and I woke up around 7 and started rounding up all of our stuff.  I finally pulled my car up around 8:30, when we were hoping to leave, and then the drama of leaving began.  Our room became quite bare very very quickly which was kind of sad and kind of erie all at the same time.  Before we left, Katy and I made sure that we wrote on the slats underneath the bed.  Idk what Katy wrote, but I wrote, "I blame the pineapple! -deLphina c/o '12."  Nothing fancy.  Then Sarah and Laura told us goodbye, we turned in our keys, and we were off.  The drive to the airport was a little quieter than usual.  I wasn't really in the mood for speaking.  I was too sad to say much of anything.
  
We made really good time on the way to LAX considering we left a half hour off our goal, but it worked out better that way anyway.  We parked at the top level of my usual parking structure, then hauled Katy's bags down to the shuttle.  I was definitely getting teary in the shuttle on the way to the terminal.  The thought of seeing my best friend/roommate leave was killing me.  We got to the terminal, I tipped the driver, and then we actually went inside.  We checked her bags, which were both 100 pounds, which was one of my concerns, and then it got even more sad.  We walked over to where we had to split up, hugged, and said our goodbyes.  As soon as Katy walked away my eyes started welling up.  What really killed me was the look back.  I lost it at that point.  I cried the whole way back to the parking structure and most of the way home.  It's going to be weird living without having her around.

I got lost on my way home, partly due to not paying attention because of text messaging, which is against the law but Katy's more important, but I backtracked and finally made it.  I ended up at my dad's house so I could unload the rest of whatever it was I had left.  Katy snuck a surprise for me in the back, but I didn't want to open it until she got home.  It took some will power, but I did it.  My dad and I went to Shabu Shabu for lunch, after almost an 8 month deprivation, and then when I was about to crack and open my surprise, Katy let me know she was home.  I opened the old Ralphs bag to find the cobalt blue hoodie with white drawstrings that I've been wanting but couldn't find.  I was sooooo excited.  I'm still very excited about it.  And she also included a cute letter that made me a little teary again.

I spent the rest of the evening at my dad's with the whole fam bam, and then finally escaped a little after 10.  I enjoy hanging out with my sister, but sometimes it's too much.  And my dad can be too much.  I hung out with my mom for a little bit and then got on the computer.  I decided to check to see if my grades were up yet, and 3 of them were.  An A in convo, a B+ in MSCO, and an A- in POSC.  I busted out a 94% on the final which brought my grade up to a 90.5%.  Talk about lucky.  So if all goes well, which it will, I'll have the 3.2 I need to finally declare my major.

I already miss Katy.  But I think it's really going to hit me later.  I survived over winter break, but that was different.  We weren't as close, and it was only a month.  She's my best friend and this is for four months.  It's going to be difficult.

No comments: